Big Birmingham Bikes are pleased to announce that the Free Bike Give Away application process is now OPEN!
Priority will be given to families who plan to cycle together. We are also considering applications from those who are undergoing an apprenticeship and from refugees along with anyone who has a medical condition where cycling can improve their health. Two thousand FREE bikes will be available in return for regular cycling to families and residents in our most deprived communities.
A maximum of two adult bikes will be given per household overall. This includes any previous BBB bike allocations. If you already have 2 orange bikes within the house, please spread the word to friends and family who you think may be interested in applying.
To be eligible for a free bike, you will need to:
- live within an eligible postcode area; we are prioritising people living in areas of Birmingham where we know income, employment and health are poorer. We may also consider your application if you don’t live in an eligible area but have a medical condition which means cycling will improve your personal health and wellbeing. You must live in Birmingham.
- be aged 16 or older (kids bikes available from Bike Banks)
- be able to cycle to Level 2 standard
- have basic bike maintenance knowledge
- hold a valid up-to-date blue Birmingham City Council Leisure Card AND hold a Wellbeing Card (both available from Wellbeing Centres)
- agree to download and use the SETA monitoring app so we can see how you are using the bike (this will be available for Apple and Android phones from November 2017)
- complete an initial survey and further follow up surveys as required
- agree to use the bike frequently (weekly) or return the bike if you don’t use it
Bikes will be available from Jan-April 2018. September to December will be the application and allocation process. We will contact you if you are successful in your application but unfortunately will not have the capacity to contact everyone who is not successful
To check whether you are eligible to apply for a bike please visit www.birmingham.gov.uk/freebikes
Please read the information and terms of entry carefully.