Building of the houses
With Government backing, Birmingham City Council embarked on a major house building programme in the 1920’s. With many families residing in slums in inner city Birmingham following World War 2, there was a great needed for social housing.
In 1928, Birmingham Council applied under a Housing Compulsory Order to acquire 450 acres of farm-land. This land comprised of land belonging to Warren Farm, Half-Way Farm (Hawthorn Road), Pool Farm (close to the top of Cranbourne Road) and the Kettlehouse Farm’. At the time of acquisition, the farms were situated within the Perry Barr District Council.
Warren Farm house 1920’s
Warren Farm Estate land – Pre 1928
Building of the housing estate began in 1928 with the completion of the first of the estates which form the current Kingstanding in 1934. It was during the 1930s and 1940s that most of the current housing stock in Kingstanding was built.
Most of the houses in Kingstanding were built as ‘municipal’ houses, better known today as council or social housing, with the majority located in the north of the area.
At the time of its building, the Kettle House estate was the largest local authority social housing development in Europe. It was home to over 4000 houses. Development of the Warren Farm and Kings Vale Farm bought the total up to some 6700 houses.
Image of the building of the Kingstanding Estate taken from: Images of England (Great Barr, Oscott and Kingstanding), Hanson M & Drake.P (2001)
Check out next weeks post to see more information and photos of the building of houses …