A map of the Kingstanding estate from 1930 shows the ‘Kingstanding estate falling within an area bordered by Hawthorne Road, College Road cutting across to Kings Road (including Gainford Road but not Elizabeth Road), and from Kings Road to Rough Road (including Bendall Road and Hartley Road. The map is pictured below and can be found at Birmingham Central Library no 425364.
The condition of the estate is best described by an account given in ‘Nutrition and the Family Size’, prepared by the Birmingham City Council Social Survey Committee in 1939:
The Kingstanding Estate is situated about five miles from the centre of Birmingham, just within the northern boundary. It was built in 1929-1930 and although at the beginning the amenities were few, at the time of survey it was well served with shops, public houses, schools, and cinemas. There are a public swimming bath and several communal playgrounds on the estate. No provision was made in the plan for factories and the estate is entirely residential, workers travelling each day to other parts of the city.’
The newly built houses in Kingstanding were all modern, with running water, inside toilets and bathrooms and free of dampness. They were places where new tenants, many people who previously lived in slum conditions, were delighted to live in. Each house had its own garden and serviced by newly built roads and pavements. Although there were no factory and few business units built into the plan (most working residents had to travel to work outside the area), it was an area that people aspired to live in.
Green Wood Place (off Hurlingham Road) – This was the 30,000th house built by Birmingham City Council. Image and information taken from: Images of England (Great Barr, Oscott and Kingstanding), Hanson M & Drake.P (2001)
(Warren Farm Estate 1931)